Why Hire a ConsultantDeborah Shames outlines the advantages of working with an academic consultant in "Why Hire a Consultant".
US Department of Education:
- Home page
- Federal student aid - the source for free information, guidance and tools for federal student assistance--from the U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid
- Grant opportunities - Discretionary Grant Application Packages
- College Navigator - research various colleges in the US
- FAFSA Form - the Federal financial aid form used by schools
- Profile Form - a financial aid form used by some private colleges
Finaid (free) - the smart student guide to financial aid. This award-winning site has grown into the most comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools - on or off the web.
- National Student Loan Data System - summarizes an individual's federal student loans
- Federal Student Loans - Students and parents can apply for federal student loans
- US News rankings: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges
- Free college stats (USNews.com premium has more and better, though.) http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
College Savings Plans:
529 Plans - information on state 529 plans
- 'Guaranteed' College Savings Plans May Soon Break Promises
- 6 Rules That Can Help You Afford a Private College
- How to 'Leverage' Your Aid
- Who Really Gets the Most College Financial Aid?
- Is a college degree really worth the cost?
Timeline:The timing of how to get your college bound student into the right college can seem daunting at best when you first start to consider it. For a timeline of when to do what, consult our college entrance timeline.
- The Best Way to Save for College A Complete Guide to 529 Plans (2009) by Joseph F. Hurley, CPA
- Rugg's Recommendations on the Colleges (27th Edition) - by Frederick E. Rugg
- Aspiring Adults Adrift - by Jake New
- Find the Perfect College for You - by Rosalind P. Marie and C. Claire Law
- Right College, Right Price - by Frank Palmasani
This is a glossary specific to college admission and financial terminology
We focus on
Providing families with the knowledge to be able to find the best path to allow their children to attend college.
Providing professional college advisors with the knowledge to best serve those families that come to them for service.
Advocating for families and advisors with the United States government to improve the accessibility of college for families.